Rishi Rawat

Customer Journey

Rishi Rawat

Nice animated graphic by McKinsey to describe customer journey: Key takeaway: More than half of customers- 58 percent – change brands from one purchase cycle to the next. This means, as marketers, we have plenty of opportunities to acquire new customers. Article Thoughts

Good vs. Bad Signups

Rishi Rawat

Getting an email signup of a potential buyer is important. But getting a signup irrespective of whether the potential customer is interested or not isn’t important.

Redundancy

Rishi Rawat

On the top half of snapcorrect.com home there are 2 prominent links: Clicking either one takes you to the same result page ( [link] ). But isn’t that a bad idea, you ask? Isn’t homepage real estate prime? Why repeat the same message but word it differently?

Customized Product Comparison Table

Rishi Rawat

There is one really important aspect of improved conversions: when you let the user drive their own experience they convert at a higher rate. Drip.com understands this.

Who Makes the Rules?

Rishi Rawat

Product pages have a very defined standard layout. This is a magazine ad for goodnessknows: Why can’t their ecommerce product page look exactly like the magazine ad? Why does it need to conform to a product page template design? uncategorized Favorite Thoughts

Personalized Urgency

Rishi Rawat

I saw an ad for an interesting product on Instagram. So I clicked it. And landed on this product page which had a message that perfectly related to my behavior and nudged me to take action: uncategorized Landing Page Urgency Messaging

208
208

Make Me an Offer

Rishi Rawat

I was exiting __.com com and saw this “Make an Offer” message: Let’s negotiate. How is this a good idea? Some questions to consider: 1: How does this make your brand look? 2: Any smart shopper is going to lowball you. Is it worth matching that lowball offer for a minuscule margin?

Games 104

Asymmetrical Numbers Covert Better

Rishi Rawat

Quick video: Article Assurance

[Private] Our Secret Sauce: A Behind the Scenes Look at What We Do

Rishi Rawat

How to Get More Reviews

Rishi Rawat

We assume people are rational. If you’re a retailer and offer a good product wrapped in delightful service then customer reviews will pour in. Wrong. Let me tell you about a recent delightful experience. I purchased jewelry for my wife online (thanks for all your help, Ron ).

Thank You Card

Rishi Rawat

My girlfriend (a social worker) recently rescued a kitten from a client’s condemned home, so we had to take her to a veterinary clinic to get cleaned and up to date on her shots. It was our first time at this particular clinic, but it was definitely friendly and hospitable.

Is Loss Aversion a Real Thing?

Rishi Rawat

Sure it is. Do I (the reader) suffer from it? Yes, you do. Let me prove it. Which option would you pick between 1 and 2 below? Option 1: Get $900. Option 2: Take a 90% chance of winning $1,000 (and a 10% chance of winning 0)? If you picked option 1 you have a full blown case of loss aversion because the outcome of option 1 and 2 are identical. Don’t feel too bad, I picked option 1 too. It isn’t our fault, these are deep-rooted cognitive biases.

#1 Way to Turn Interested Browsers into Buyers

Rishi Rawat

I was listening to a really interesting story about Charity: Water. Turns out, a big reason people don’t donate is that they don’t trust how their donations will be used. Charity: Water grew because they convincingly addressed this concern.

Asymmetric Dominance Effect

Rishi Rawat

Is a tactic where an option that is inferior is added to the comparison set. The lesser alternative makes the option that is dominated look more appealing. Experiment 1: Students are presented with 2 annual subscription plans: Option 1: $59 for online access. Option 2: $125 for print and online access. In this experiment, 68% chose print option, while only 32% chose online only. Experiment 2: Option 1: $59 for online access. Option 2: $125 for print only.

My Holiday Shopping Experience

Rishi Rawat

Now that it’s the holiday season, we are seeing websites use many different strategies to increase conversions. Some of these strategies include special holiday sales, free holiday shipping, extended return and refund policies, and so on.

Games 104

Clever Order Confirmation Email

Rishi Rawat

Your order confirmation email doesn’t have to be boring. Hat tip to Justin for sharing this great email from Native: Article Likability

Black Friday Sale

Rishi Rawat

Black Friday is a great time to go treasure hunting online. But I wasn’t looking for deals this past Black Friday. Instead, I was searching for the new or unique ways websites were trying to get us to stick around for a bit longer. Prettylittercats.com did something pretty interesting.

Toys 104

No Site Is Perfect. Can We Improve Conversions on Any Site in the World?

Rishi Rawat

Hi there! My name is Preston and I work with Rishi at Frictionless Commerce as a conversion optimization specialist. I’ll be contributing a bit to Better Retail, so I just wanted to say it’s great to talk with you all and share some of what I’ve learned and worked on with Rishi.

Clever Banner Ad

Rishi Rawat

If you want people to interact with your banner ads follow this tactic from SEMrush: Article Challenge Favorite

Black Friday Tip

Rishi Rawat

If your Black Friday product pages have jargon (black highlight) and features without benefits (red text) no one is going to buy what you’re selling: Article Not Good

Getting More Subscribers to Your Youtube Channel

Rishi Rawat

1: Are you a brand that has a fair amount of new content being created on your Youtube channel? 2: Looking to increase channel subscriptions by 5%? Then make 1 tweak to your YouTube channel URL: Article Novelty

My Problem with Amazon

Rishi Rawat

Everyone is saying Amazon will gobble up independent retailers. But Amazon isn’t perfect. There are too many vendors listing the same product on its platform, which creates a poor buyer experience. Here is my story: Here is the Amazon listing page: [link]. Article Not Good Thoughts

Words Work When They’re Readable

Rishi Rawat

10 years ago the web was slow as a snail so websites were simple: black font with a white background. Today, because CSS is a thing and slow internet isn’t we’ve started designing the crap out of pages. I can’t tell you how many sites I encounter that use a charcoal gray font color.

Books 113

Have You Complimented Your Top Customers Lately?

Rishi Rawat

Got this email from Google Maps. I felt great. Flattery works: Have you considered sending a flattering email to your top customers? You don’t have to give a discount, the email could simply be a personal “we appreciate you” note.

Buying Time

Rishi Rawat

Have a look at your site data. You’ll find a majority of visitors spend comically low time on the site. Typically under 3 minutes. Think about your own behavior. How much time do you typically spend on new sites? Are you going to read this whole article?

Power of Visualization

Rishi Rawat

Was searching for a journal on Amazon. Bleeding wasn’t even a criterion I was looking for but once I saw this image I was like, “That’s right, it’s important that the pages in the journal don’t bleed!”:

Difference between System 1 and System 2?

Rishi Rawat

Video explanation: Written explanation for the video above: If you want to improve your conversion rates, you’re going to have to understand the mind of the shopper. And if you want to understand the mind of a shopper, you need to understand how the shopper’s brain works.

My Mean Boss Wants You to Know About this Sale

Rishi Rawat

Moosejaw.com has done a great job with their email marketing.

Everyone Likes a Robin Hood

Rishi Rawat

I recently came across skiplagged.com—a site dedicated to finding the lowest ticket prices for flights. This site uses a number of conversion tactics and it uses them well.

New Home

Rishi Rawat

Did you know that, on average, you have to see an ad 7 times before you even notice it? Which means, many readers missed my last Tuesday announcement. Here’s what you missed: I’ve been thinking about and sharing ecommerce ideas for the last 12 years. In that time we’ve published over 500 articles. We know what our readers want … quick reads with actionable ideas. For the longest part …. Article

Getting Better Quality Reviews

Rishi Rawat

Let’s look at these 2 reviews: A: Generic and just adds cognitive load: B: Specifically addresses shopper concern about mattress delivery to buildings (Narrative Control): Which one do you like better?

Ethical Line of Persuasion

Rishi Rawat

If you don’t like watching videos here is the written version of the article. The things I do for my readers. Marketing has become incredibly powerful. Whenever you go to a website (whether it’s CNN or Walmart.com), often times anonymous aspects of our data are sold in the marketplace.

Make Sure Your Test Element is Visible

Rishi Rawat

When people run experiments, they are simply looking at the outcome of the experiment and determining if it was a success or a failure. This can be a problem. We started adding tracking to see how many people were actually clicking on our test elements. Turns out, the number is low.

Other 104

If the Survey Request Sucks No One Will Participate

Rishi Rawat

After a recent visit with a local ophthalmologist, I received this Voice of the Customer survey request: I doubt this survey request was successful for a number of reasons. The heading has no personality and it is visually bland.

VIDEO POST: Don’t Be Intimidated by Amazon

Rishi Rawat

I know Amazon is a scary animal. But Amazon isn’t the end all of retail. Here is my personal story: Here is the product page: [link]. You tell me if you see any mention of this being a Japanese language model. Article Thoughts Favorite